Friday, December 13, 2013

Conquering the "Tricky Teens!"

Over the past few weeks, we have really began diving deep into the teen numbers.  On Monday, one student noticed that all teen numbers start with a 1.  Elaborating on that observation, I posed the question, "Why do all teen numbers start with a 1?"  That first day, the most common answer was because one is the first number that we use to start counting.  Even though that is a correct answer, I wanted my students to be able to prove their answer with something concrete.  Throughout the week, we have continued using double tens frames and really emphasized how a teen number is "one full tens frame and some more." 

Today, I posed the same question, "Why do all teen numbers start with a 1?"  This was the answer that Nicholas shared!
The smile after he finished explaining shows the confidence that he has gained and how he is conquering those tricky teen numbers!  I am so proud of all of my sweet students who are all gaining a strong understanding and foundation of teen numbers. 
 
Please continue practicing these tricky teen numbers at home!  One way you can practice these, is to have your child write the numeral and then show it on a tens frame.  Below is a video of Sage, as she showed the number 13 on the Activ Board.
I love having the students break down the number and tell me that 13 is 1 tens frame and 3 more.
 
For more practice, you can also have your child draw a picture to represent a specific teen number. 
 
Lastly, to practice teen numbers, we LOVE to sing this catchy song.  I think it really does a great job breaking apart the numbers!
 
I hope you have fun practicing the teen numbers at home with your child!  


No comments:

Post a Comment