Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Observing squares and circles

Today, we continued our study of shapes.  I posed the question, "Can you fill a circle with squares?"  I explained that the squares could not go outside of the circle, and  they could not be layered on top of each other.  Below are a few pictures as the class tried to accomplish this task.


 
We realized that this task was not possible.  I then asked the students, "Why?"
 
I loved how both Katelynn and Lake began noticing the straight sides and corners that the square contains.  They also noticed how the circle is one big curve.
 
After particpating in our math stations, I asked the students a very similar question: "Can you fill a square with circles?"  They tested this independently in their math journals. 




They realized once again, that this was not possible because of the differences in the shapes.
 
  Jaylen came to the conclusion that if you tried to fill a square with smaller squares, then that would work because they have the same edges.
 
I love investigating and exploring with these creative minds! 

No comments:

Post a Comment