Monday, August 18, 2014

What an awesome first day for our class of 2027 graduates!

Wow! We have worked so hard and had lots of fun on our first day of kindergarten! 

We started our day by reading on the back rug while we waited for all of our friends to arrive at school.


Next, we glued colored pieces of paper to create our names!



We drank jitter juice, read First Day Jitters, and created a "kissing hand" for all of our parents!  Please check your child's blue homework folder to find the surprise kissing hand poem


Next, we illustrated a "Map of My Face" and wrote sentences beginning with the sight words I and can.



During math, I presented the students with the following problem:

"I am so excited that you are an Oakland*Star! To celebrate, I have placed starbursts on your tables. But, I have a problem! The starbursts are all in large piles on your tables and are not shared evenly among everyone. Can you please help me by sharing the starbursts in a way that is fair to everyone sitting with you at you learning clubs?






The problem solving, creativity, collaboration, and teamwork was so exciting to see as the students worked to evenly share the starbursts! I was amazed as the groups figured out that each friend at the table needed 3 starbursts! 

We ended our day by reading the book, Do Unto Otters and creating our own rules that the students thought we needed to make our dream classroom.  Tomorrow, we will continue combining our rules into categories and ultimately creating our class promise! 
We had such a fun and successful first day of school! I know that all of my room 201 friends will sleep well tonight! Thank you so much for all of the support and encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment