Thursday, November 20, 2014

Candle Dipping

This week, we are learning about different things that the Pilgrims and Native Americans taught each other during the time around The First Thanksgiving. Today, we focused on the Pilgrims. We learned that Pilgrim children had the responsibility of making candles. To us, it is so easy to flip on a light switch or shine a flash light if we need light. However, in colonial times, they did not have these luxuries. Children and adults were required to make the candles if they wanted light.

Today, we made our own candles just like they would have done during the First Thanksgiving. Each student received a long wick and had the opportunity to dip it into the pot of wax. As a class, we continuously made circles to re-dip our wicks. After A LOT of dipping and patience, we were able to make small candles!


"This is the best day ever!!"-Brooklyn

"This is so cool!"-Chase

"I didn't know we could make candles at school!"-Sam 







"I love making my own candles Ms. Garner."- (pretty much every child in the class!)


I hope you enjoyed all of the precious words and comments I heard throughout the day! We had so much fun learning to make our own candles just like the Pilgrims!

1 comment:

  1. Dear "All Stars" -

    How much fun is this? I want to go back to kindergarten! Thankfully, I can still come visit! My, how things have changed since 1620! I wonder what things will be like 400 years from today. Now...that's a wondering worth pondering! So, what do you think, 5K "All Stars?"

    Learning Together,
    Dr. P

    ReplyDelete