Friday, September 6, 2013

Week 3!


Good afternoon!

Once again, we have had a wonderful week here at Oakland. 

During ELA, we have enjoyed continuing to build our stamina to make us readers for longer periods of time.  On Thursday, we read for a total of EIGHT minutes which was WONDERFUL!  Today we almost made it to six minutes which is still really good for week 3 of kindergarten.  Please continue reading with your child every night!  We sent 100 BC folders and books home today so please make sure to read and log lines this weekend. 



Our sight words next week are the, yes, and no.  Please review those at home each night.

During math, we have practiced with the numbers 1-5.  This week, we used counters to place on tens frames, wrote our numbers on dry erase boards, and played our first “I have, Who has” game as a class.  Below is a picture of the children holding up their boards for me to see the numbers 1, 3, 0, and 5. 






If you would rather order scholastic books online, I have made an account that allows you to do that.  The access code to use on that site is MDVBW.  You can also reach this site by going to scholastic.com and typing in Oakland and our zip code.  My name will then show up for you to click on.  This is a great way to order books for your children and it benefits our class!

I will begin sending homework on Monday so please be on the lookout for that.  Most of the homework is not something that needs to be turned back in to me.  It is just an aid in working at home with your child!

Before recess, we enjoyed eating our ice cream from Bruster's.  The children loved their dessert and wanted to share a picture with you!



We ended our day with a surprise visit from our class pet.  He is a Koala Bear!  The office called to let us know that our class had a package.  The children were so excited!  Below are a few pictures as we opened the box!







Thank you all for being so wonderful and I am looking forward to a great school year! 

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to come visit Room 201...especially to see your class pet!! It really looks like there are some great things going on in 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kindergarten All-Stars -
    I cannot wait to meet your new class pet! I do not know another class that has a koala bear as a class pet. Have you given him or her a name yet? Keep up the great work guys. I know kindergarten is going to be a blast! See you soon.
    Dr. P

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved meeting our new class pet. As a class, we voted on a name. A few of the options we had were Duncan, Koalie, Panda, Panda All-Star, Rockstar, and Koalie Rockstar. After our class vote, we named him Koalie Rockstar and his nickname is Koalie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute pictures...Love all the pictures... Thanks to you all for doing a great job... and Shyann told me all About Koalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you are enjoying the pictures! I will definitely keep them coming. Yes, we had a wonderful time meeting our new friend and naming him! I am glad Shyann loves school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Koalie is so cute! I am glad he found his way to your class! I love seeing what your students are doing and even more, I love seeing their great big smiles each day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the sweet comments and being such a great mentor. I feel very blessed to work with such great kids and teachers at OES!

    ReplyDelete